If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.

Home > Find a home > Move or swap a home > Apply to exchange

Apply to exchange

An exchange (known as a mutual exchange) is a way of swapping your home with another housing association tenant or a council tenant.

We use the HomeSwapper scheme – which is a free website designed to help you find someone to swap with.

You can use HomeSwapper if:

  •  your rent account is clear
  •  you’re not in the starter period of your tenancy (ie the first 12 months)
  •  there are no ASB, nuisance cases or court actions outstanding
  •  you’re exchanging to a suitably sized property for your needs
  •  you can afford the rent in the new property

What do I do next?

Download our mutual exchange form; complete and sign the form and post it to us. We will need a completed form for every household swapping. If you don't have a printer, our customer services team will send you an application form. We’ll then assess your application and let you know if we’re happy to approve your exchange request. We’ll let you know our decision within six weeks (after the date we receive all applications involved in the exchange).

What does the assessment involve? 

Our assessment will include:

  • checking your rent account for any outstanding debts
  • getting other landlord references (if appropriate)
  • inspecting your home
  • checking that your new home is suitable (that there’s enough room for you and your family)

Our lettings team deals with all mutual exchanges. Contact us for more information or help on what to do next. 

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links