An exchange (known as a mutual exchange) is a way of swapping your home with another housing association tenant or a council tenant.
We use the HomeSwapper scheme – which is a free website designed to help you find someone to swap with.
You can use HomeSwapper if:
- your rent account is clear
- you’re not in the starter period of your tenancy (ie the first 12 months)
- there are no ASB, nuisance cases or court actions outstanding
- you’re exchanging to a suitably sized property for your needs
- you can afford the rent in the new property
What do I do next?
Download our mutual exchange form; complete and sign the form and post it to us. We will need a completed form for every household swapping. If you don't have a printer, our customer services team will send you an application form. We’ll then assess your application and let you know if we’re happy to approve your exchange request. We’ll let you know our decision within six weeks (after the date we receive all applications involved in the exchange).
What does the assessment involve?
Our assessment will include:
- checking your rent account for any outstanding debts
- getting other landlord references (if appropriate)
- inspecting your home
- checking that your new home is suitable (that there’s enough room for you and your family)
Our lettings team deals with all mutual exchanges. Contact us for more information or help on what to do next.