We own garages in towns and villages throughout south Oxfordshire. If you’d like to rent one, just get in touch.
Who can rent a garage?
- You must be over 18 years of age
- The garage can only be used to store a vehicle that’s taxed and has a valid MOT
- The garage can’t be used for storing furniture, equipment or goods. You also can’t store any noxious, inflammable or explosive liquids or substances (for example, petrol, diesel, paraffin or liquid gas)
- You can’t use the garage in connection with any business
- Payment of the garage licence fee must be made four weeks in advance, by direct debit. Fees must be paid on the first day of each month (as a separate payment from your rent or other charges to Soha)
How much does it cost?
Tenants who set up a direct debit pay a reduced cost of £6.60 per week for their first garage and £11.54 per week for a second. If not paying by direct debit, it costs our tenants £7.10 per week for their first garage and £12.74 per week for a second.
Leaseholders and members of the public must pay for their garage by direct debit. Leaseholders pay £8.10 per week and a member of the public pays £11.54 per week.
Tenants don’t pay VAT on their first garage, but members of the public, leaseholders, and tenants with a second garage pay VAT at 20%. This is included in the costs above.
How do we prioritise applications?
We generally deal with applications in the order we receive them and in certain priority groups.
- Priority 1: our tenants/shared owners who don’t yet have a garage
- Priority 2: our leaseholders
- Priority 3: other local people
- Priority 4: our tenants who already have a garage and want an extra one
Please note that all tenants or leaseholders will only be eligible to hold a garage licence provided that all rent or leasehold charges are fully paid up.
You application, if accepted, will be added to our waiting list-there is a high demand for garages so you may not be allocated one straight away.
Kindly note that you are regarded as a tenant only if your name is on the tenancy agreement. If it is not, Soha will consider you as a “priority 3: other local person”. You will be charged the non-tenant rate even if you live in one of our properties.
How long will I have to wait?
If a garage is available we’ll make an offer straightaway. Sometimes we have to carry out maintenance work or change a lock – so you might have to wait a short time before it’s ready for you.
If you want a garage in a popular location, you may have to wait until one becomes available. You’ll be put on a waiting list and we’ll let you know as soon as something becomes free.
Where are Soha’s garages?
We have garages across south Oxfordshire.
Download our list of the areas where we have garages.
How do I apply?
Download our application form and send it back to us.
How do I end my garage licence?
All licences end on a Sunday. If you want to end your licence, you must give two weeks’ written notice.
The garage must be left clean and clear of all items. The keys must be either sent safely back to Soha or handed in at our office.