If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.


Extra Care housing

Extra care housing

Extra care housing for the over 55s


Extra care housing is ideal if you’re over 55 and need a little more support, but want to remain independent. It’s not residential care – the emphasis is on independence and helping you to remain in your own home for as long as possible.

You’ll live in a modern, purpose-built, comfortable home (a one or two-bedroomed flat), where flexible care and support is available onsite 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Most of the flats in our extra care housing units are for rent. But we do have some that can be bought – on a part-buy/part-rent basis.

What are the benefits of extra care housing?

  • Helps maintain an independent lifestyle, but reduces anxieties and worries          
  • 24-hour care onsite
  • Independence, but with the option to socialise with other residents
  • Lift access to all floors
  • Landscaped communal gardens
  • Comfortable communal lounge
  • Hairdressing salon onsite
  • Close to shops and other services
  • Events and activities to help keep your mind and body healthy


Where can I live in extra care housing?

We have three extra care units.


What support is there?

Our extra care housing can help people with low level support needs as well as those who have mobility or health problems that mean they need regular or long-term care and support. Care staff are on duty day and night.

How do I pay for care?

You’ll be assessed by the council (Oxfordshire Adult Social Care) and they will agree with you a care plan to meet your needs. Depending upon your circumstances and your savings, you may find that your care can be funded by the council.

If you already have a carer who you pay for, you can continue with this arrangement when you move into your new extra care home, or you can purchase care from our onsite carers.

My wife/husband/partner has care needs but I don’t – can we still apply?

We only need one resident who has a care need. If your husband/wife/partner does not need care you can still live together in extra care housing.

What about meals during the day?

Hot cooked meals are available at lunchtime in the dining area, as well as light snacks and sandwiches. This is an optional service you can pay for weekly.

How do I apply?

Call us first. You’ll need to fill out a form which we can help with. Your application will then be processed and a care assessment will be carried out. We’ll let you know as soon as we can, but it will probably take two to three months to carry out the assessments and checks.

If you're looking to rent an Extra Care home please download, complete and return the Extra Care application form (Rent)

Contact us to find out more about extra care housing.

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links