If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.


Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing

If you’re older, but independent and enjoy living in a community, our rented sheltered homes may be ideal for you. 

We have a number of sheltered schemes in and around south Oxfordshire, including:

Woodcote, Sonning Common, Didcot, Cholsey, Henley, Chalgrove, Warborough, Benson, Watlington, Great Milton, Wheatley, Berinsfield, Thame

What is sheltered housing?

Sheltered housing provides comfortable, convenient and secure accommodation. It means you can still be independent, but have the companionship of other older people living nearby.

You’ll have your own front door, as well as access to gardens and parking. There’ll often be a communal entrance for added security.

An independent living advisor is available for information and advice – or to help you organise paying your rent or reporting a repair. Our independent living advisors will also help you access local health and community services such as ‘good neighbour schemes’ or other local voluntary agencies.

What’s the role of an Independent Living Adviser?

The independent living adviser is there to help you view a sheltered property, settle in and give you information about how to pay your rent, report repairs and keep in touch.

Our independent living advisers don’t provide care, but will help you get in touch with agencies, who can provide home care and other practical support. Independent living advisers will also check on your building, grounds maintenance and the cleaning of communal areas, as well as testing the fire alarms weekly.

We run regular scheme meetings for our residents – giving you the opportunity to meet Soha staff and listen to experts from other agencies such as the local police, AgeUK etc.

What is there to do?

There are plenty of things to do at our sheltered schemes. We work with our residents to help them arrange theatre trips, BBQs, coffee mornings etc, as well as keep chair based exercise and IT classes. 

We work alongside many other community-based agencies such as AgeUK to help our residents get all the help and support they need to remain active. We can also help you get online, surfing the web and emailing your family and friends.

Who can apply?

If you’re over 60, or over 55 but have some support needs, you can apply to live in our sheltered housing.

How do I apply?

Talk to one of our team. You’ll need to fill out a form, which we can help you with, or you can apply online by bidding for a home via your local council.

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links