If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.

Home > Homes and Services for Older People > Staying in my own home

Staying in my own home

Staying in my own home

If you’re finding it difficult to manage at home, there are things we can do to make your life easier and safer.

We can help with advice, or with suggestions for making simple adaptations to your home to help you get around more easily. Or maybe you need someone to help you with some simple tasks so you can keep your independence.

If you want to stay in your own home – but need some help call our customer services team.

Care and support

If you need care or support we can refer you to Community Voice, a county-council-funded service helping older people stay at home with some extra support – such as a personal alarm service.

We can also refer you to the council’s adult social care team to arrange help with your personal care – such as washing, dressing or using the bathroom.  The council team will assess your needs and also look at what care support you might need to pay for or contribute towards.

Aids and adaptions

If you’re having difficulty getting in and out of your home, using the stairs, or carrying out everyday tasks such as cooking, washing or dressing – we can help.  We will come to your home, see what sort of help you need and look at what can be done.

For example, we might put in some grab rails or a ramp, or maybe some kitchen equipment to help with basic tasks like boiling the kettle or using saucepans.

If you need more major work carried out – perhaps disabled access to your home or a walk-in shower or stair lift – we’ll talk to you about exactly what’s needed and how it can be paid for. Sometimes, for instance, we’ll be able to help you get a disabled facilities grant.

Lifeline alarms

This is a portable pendant or bracelet which you can use to alert neighbours or the emergency services. There are different levels of support – it just depends on your needs. Contact us to find out more

Handyperson service

If you need help with some basic DIY, and you're over 70 and living in your own home, our handyperson service can help.

Our handyperson can put up shelves, fix your broken doorbell, clear gardens or put together some flat pack furniture. Basically we can help you with any small job around the home – up to two hours per home, per year, free of charge.

Contact us to find out more about our handyperson service.

Tenancy support service

Our tenancy support officer can help you make sure you keep your tenancy and your home, if you’re finding it difficult to manage.

Find out more about our tenancy support service

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links