If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.

Universal Credit FAQs
universal credit.png
UC is a means tested combination of:  Income Support; Job Seekers Allowance; Employment Support Allowance; Housing Benefit; Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.
Anyone of working age, on a low income or unemployed with less than 3 children.
It’s paid once a month and in arrears into a bank account; post office or credit union account.
One calendar month and 7 days after the claim has been submitted. Subsequent payments will be paid monthly thereafter.
Yes – an “advanced payment” can be requested at the claimants JobCentre. All advanced payments are a loan and must be repaid from ongoing UC payments within 6 months.
It’s when Soha, or the claimant, can ask for UC to be paid direct to Soha if the claimant meets certain vulnerability criteria. Soha can also request “third party deductions” for rent arrears.
Every claimant will have an individual MAP based on the date they first made their claim. For example a claim made on the 10th of the month, with no waiting days, will have a MAP running from the 10th of one month to the 9th of the next month.
All changes in circumstances must be reported to DWP immediately to avoid a loss of payment. The changes can be reported through the clients online work journal.

We are here if you need help: 

  • making a UC claim  
  • to chase a missing UC payment      
  • to confirm housing costs  
  • setting up a bank account   
  • setting up an email account


Please contact us on 0800 014 15 45  or contact the UC Helpline direct on 0800 328 5644. (Freephone)

You need to log onto your UC account every day! 

If the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) need any information from you to help them process your claim, they will add an entry on your journal asking you to visit your “to do list”.  Please consider your journal to be the new Facebook or Twitter, you must look at it every day. 

Your “to do list” is exactly that. A list of questions and instructions from the DWP that you need to complete so that they can assess your claim.

Your “to do list” can be accessed by clicking on the tab at the top of your “home” screen.

When you complete your UC claim, you will be asked how you want to be notified of a journal entry. You can choose either email or text. 
You will need to log into your UC account. This will tell you when you will be paid. Five days before you are due to be paid you can click on the “Payments” link on your Home screen.

Regardless of when your personal element is paid to you, the DWP will not release the housing element (rent) to Soha until the 26th of each month, and there must be at least 2 weeks between the personal payment and housing payment being released. Also, when the housing element has been released there is a further delay before the payment reaches your rent account.

For example:

Mrs Smith receives her personal element on 5th February 2018

DWP release Mrs Smith’s housing element to Soha on 26th February 2018

Soha receive confirmation of Mrs Smith’s payment by 5th March 2018 and credit the payment to her rent account. 

No. Soha has absolutely no access to view your claim; to check if you have any tasks to complete; to see when you are getting paid or to ask any questions on your behalf. The DWP will only speak to us if you are sat with us and give your permission. Any permission is only for that single conversation, it is not permanent permission.
If you are having any problems either making a UC claim, or are having any difficulties with the DWP, please contact Soha’s Welfare Advice Officer on 01235 515900 or Freephone 0800 014 1545.   

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links