If you are in danger
please use a safer computer,
or call 999 or
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

To leave this site quickly
click the ‘Quick Exit’ button
at the top of any page.

Home > Resident services > I rent my home > My tenancy > Changing my tenancy

Changing my tenancy

There are times when you might want to change the details of your tenancy.

Perhaps you’ve changed your name or you’d like to change from a sole tenancy to a joint tenancy, or vice versa. If you want to change your tenancy please get in touch so we can sort it out.

Changing your name

When you change your name, for any reason, please let us knowIf you’ve got married we’ll need to see a copy of your marriage certificate and if you change your name by deed poll, we’ll need to see the paperwork.

We’ll then make the changes to your tenancy and make sure our records are up-to-date.

Changes in your household

If your household changes please tell us. Perhaps someone moves in or out or perhaps someone dies. If there are changes in your household, let us know.

Changing a joint tenancy to a sole tenancy

Because your tenancy agreement is a legal document we can only remove a joint tenant by:

  • mutual agreement – if you both agree, one tenant can ‘assign’ their responsibility to the other tenant. We’d need to see all the paperwork and meet both parties to make sure you are in agreement
  • court order – if you can’t agree between yourselves you should seek legal advice from a solicitor or advice centre or Citizens Advice

A joint tenancy to a sole tenancy would only be considered if your rent account it clear.

Changing a sole tenancy to a joint tenancy

A joint tenancy is a tenancy that’s held by more than one person – usually two people, who are both named on the tenancy agreement.

Where there is a joint tenancy, both tenants are responsible for making sure the rent is paid and that they (and their family) behave in a responsible way.

We usually only consider applications for joint tenancies for partners (any gender). We don’t normally consider applications for joint tenancies between tenants and siblings, children or other family members.

We’ll need proof that your partner has been living with you for all of the last 12 months – so we’ll need to see bills, benefit awards etc, addressed to your partner at your address.

A sole tenancy to a joint tenancy would only be considered if your rent account it clear. 

If you want to find out more about changing a sole tenancy to a joint tenancy, get in touch.

Transferring your tenancy

If you are an existing sole tenant, you may want to transfer your tenancy (or as we call it, assign your tenancy).

Assigning your tenancy is ultimately at our discretion however we will work with you to discuss your needs.

If you want to transfer, you need to check that you have an assured tenancy with us plus that your tenancy agreement allows it. If your tenancy agreement doesn’t mention assignment, you will need written permission from us.

When you transfer your tenancy, all the rights and responsibilities of the tenancy pass from the original tenant to the new tenant.

If you’re on a starter tenancy you can’t transfer. We may also refuse to transfer your tenancy if:

  • you’ve got rent arrears
  • we’ve started eviction proceedings against you
  • your home has been adapted for a person with disabilities (and they would no longer be living there)  

Assignment will only be considered to someone who would have succession rights. 

You may be able to transfer (assign) your tenancy to: 

  • your spouse or partner (as long as they’ve been living with you in your home for at least the last 12 months)
  • another member of your family (including children, parents, siblings and most other close relatives), as long as that person has been living with you for at least the last 12 months

If you want to transfer your tenancy, get in touch.

Passing on your tenancy

We call passing on your tenancy, succession. 

If you die and you’re married, or in a civil partnership, your tenancy will normally automatically pass to your surviving partner, provided that they have lived in your home for the last 12 months.
Your tenancy could also be passed to another member of your family, if they have lived in your home for the last 12 months.

Get in touch with us as soon as possible – especially if you want to succeed to a tenancy of someone who’s died (we need your application within 31 days of the tenant’s death).

Contact Us


Soha Housing
Royal Scot House
99 Station Road
OX11 7NN


01235 515 900
0800 014 15 45

Quick Links