Congratulations on moving into your new home!
We hope you'll be very happy there. Now you’ve moved in, here’s a handy checklist of things to do when you get bored of unpacking all those boxes.
Contact the electricity, gas and water suppliers for your new home and tell them you’ve moved in. You’ll need to give them the meter readings taken when the property was handed over to you. We recommend that you continue with the existing supplier until you receive your first bill.
Change of address
You’ll need to tell companies that you deal with that you’ve moved house. These are some of the important ones:
- Your bank, credit card or store card companies
- Inland Revenue
- Your local council (for council tax purposes)
- National Insurance
- Any agency you receive benefits from
- Insurance companies, including your motor, pet or life insurance
- TV Licensing
- Your phone and broadband provider, including mobiles
- Your employer, both current and past so you don’t lose track of employee pension schemes you may be entitled to
Soha is responsible for arranging buildings insurance. This covers the structure of your home together with certain fixtures and fittings.
We strongly encourage all our residents to take out contents insurance. Soha recommends the My Home contents insurance scheme from Thistle Insurance, which aims to provide an affordable option for home contents insurance.
In the handover pack for your home you’ll find the following guarantees:
- An NHBC/Zurich Insurance certificate – this covers all defects with your property for the first two years from the start date, and structural defects for a further eight to ten years
- A FENSA certificate for your windows and doors
- A warranty for your boiler and/or central heating system – usually valid for two years from the date of installation
- Manufacturers’ warranties for any white goods or kitchen appliances installed by the developer – usually valid for one year from the date of installation, not the date you purchased the property
Complete and return any registration cards as required, otherwise you may invalidate your guarantee.